If one of your New Year’s Resolutions is to finally make that first home purchase, we can help you with the process. It’s important to know ahead of time if you have what it takes to purchase that first home. Determining whether you're ready to buy a house can be a daunting task but here’s a list that will help you determine whether you’re ready. At Brunswickland Realty helping people purchase their first home is what we excel at and we can help you, too.
1. You are familiar with the market. You have a realistic view of how much a house will cost you and, financially, you're in good shape.
2. You have the money for a down payment. Freddie Mac says the percentage will be determined by the type of mortgage you select. Down payments usually range from 3 to 20 percent of the property value.
3. Know how much you can afford. Your monthly mortgage payment should be less than or equal to a percentage of your income, usually about a quarter of your gross monthly income.
4. Fully understand the additional expenses that come with owning a home. Expenses like homeowner insurance, property taxes, utility bills, and maintenance costs such as roofing, plumbing, heating and cooling shouldn’t be overlooked.
5. You’ll need to have good credit and make sure your credit report is accurate. Get a report from each of the three credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union to make sure the information is accurate.
When you're ready to begin the process of finding your first home, just give us a call at 1-800-842-6949 and we’ll be happy to help you.